Subject: RE: [ebxml-msg] WSI signatures propsal & impact on ebXML Messaging

First, the WSI BSP is not ratified yet.

Second, if WSI were to prohibit WSS signatures using xmldsig enveloped
signatures, ebXML users could fall back to the ebMS 2.0 signature
mechanisms if they wanted to have enveloped signatures (that also
included the current xpath filtering that allows intermediary added
signatures). I think ensuring that this option is available depends on
what we do in creating the ebMS 3.0 header definition.

ebMS 3.0 users wishing to use _only_ the wsse:security header blocks in
a wsi conforming manner may therefore not have precisely the same
functionality as had existed in ebMS 2.0.

But, theoretically, an ebMS 2.0 signature in an ebXML header could be
combined with a future ebMS 3.0 approach that uses wsse:security header
blocks (supposing someone invents a use case for that combination!) In
other words, ebMS 3.0 could use wsse:security header blocks in a wsi
conformant way, but also allow the ebMS 2.0 signature mode in its header
when that functionality was desired. I think that an ebMS 2.0 style
signature mode would typically fail for some cases where the
wsse:security detached signature succeeds. So I suspect that users would
opt for one rather than the other mechanism. But because ebMS header
blocks containing signatures would fall under a wsi extension point, I
don't think they would count as breaking any wsi conformance
requirement.

I think that whatever wsi consensus gets established for use of
wsse:security header blocks can be satisfied by ebMS v 3.0. So it may
not be possible to get all the requirements that are currently satisfied
when using the ebMS 2.0 security approach also satisfied when using a
wsi-conforming, wsse:security-using message. But I am not clear that I
see why that would necessarily has to be a problem.

Dale Moberg