Subject: RE: [ebxml-msg] Groups - New Issue Discovered

Title: Hamid:

Hi everybody.

The intent of my message was misunderstood (my issue is not about whether ebMS MEPs should have more semantics w/r to the ebMS headers). Let me clarify (See inline my answers in red color …)

From: Jacques Durand
Sent: Monday, February 27, 2006 3:20 PM
To: 'Dale Moberg'; Hamid Ben Malek; ebxml-msg@lists.oasis-open.org

Guys:

I don’t see anything critical enough to require much of our attention before CD2 here.

[Hamid]: First, this issue or any other possible issue that may arise has nothing to do with our vote for CD2. The vote for CD 2 is planned for the end of this month and nothing will change that. We wanted to vote for CD 2 on Feb 8, and it did not happen because of delays in editing, and this time we planned to vote for it by the end of Feb (this will not be postponed anymore). So, there is no need to panic (CD 2 will be voted no matter how we agree or disagree on its contents. If someone does not agree on the contents of CD 2, changes may be submitted for CD 3. This is exactly what we did for CD 1. We voted for CD 1 even though I disagreed with much of its contents, but I knew I could change some of them for CD 2). So, I hope that this is clear enough that these discussions we are having will not affect or postpone the vote for CD 2.

Basically what I hear from Dale is that indeed whatever is in CollaborationInfo element makes sense in general for a response, whether “synchronous” or not. That was also my impression.

[Hamid]: I never said CollaborationInfo always make sense for the response, nor do I agree with such a statement. Dale, if you say that conversationID and agreementRef are important for the response message, I would say we don’t need them. Why? This is simply because the response message already contains an eb:RefToMessageId header element which would tell me (I am the Sender MSH) about the message that was sent previously and therefore I know exactly what were the conversationID and agreementRef for that message. It would simply be redundant to include such information as conversationID and agreementRef in the response message (unless we don’t require anymore that the response message include an eb:RefToMessageId header element which I doubt that).

I’d also propose to postpone any debate on whether Service/Action should be optional.

[Hamid]: The debate has nothing to do with the vote for CD 2 and there is no reason for postponing such discussions. CD 2 will be voted no matter what.

There seems to be serious arguments against it, or for making this a non-issue (e.g. I now recall that the ebMS2 profiling for RosettaNet makes use of Service/Action for response messages - either Action or Signal messages - regardless whether synchronous or not.) It seems that far from being used only in the sense of “method invocation” (which makes sense only for a request) Service/Action is often used as <businesss Tx Id / doctype name> pair. Also optionality adds one more interop risk.

[Hamid]: I don’t see any interop risk here. When I said that “CollaborationInfo” element should be optional, I meant for a response message not for a request message. Of course, we can’t express this fact in XML schema (saying that such an element is required for this but optional for that). But, the point is that we should not be constrained by the limitation of XML schema. It simply make sense to say that the element eb:CollaborationInfo is REQUIRED for a request message and OPTIONAL for a response message. Being optional does not mean a response could not have an eb:CollaborationInfo element if it chooses to and knows exactly what to put in there. The thing is that there are many use-cases where the sender is just a client and does not have a service/action concept, and does not need an eb:CollaborationInfo in the response. We cannot ignore those use-cases and simply say that eb:CollaborationInfo is always REQUIRED (just to satisfy an XML schema which is unable to allow flexibility when an element is required and when it is optional).

Should eb:From and eb:To be always reversed from request to response user message?

[Hamid]: My answer is of course yes (eb:From and eb:To SHOULD be reversed for a response) if the receiver MSH don’t know how to populate the headers of the response. However, in 99.9 % of cases, eb:From and eb:To will be reversed for the response.  It may seem that not requiring eb:From and eb:To to be reversed would allow for more general and sophisticated use-cases where the responder may put any eb:From he wants and even may send this response to a different destination. But we have to be very realistic here. These exotic scenarios could not be covered like this by just saying that eb:From and eb:To are not necessary reversed for a response. In order to cover the exotic scenarios, we need to support them from the beginning in the spec and that is really out of scope because it would ask for a complete new design which ebMS-3 was not based on. There are only two cases for the response: either the response is synchronous or asynchronous. This latter case is not yet covered in the Core part of ebMS-3, and therefore it is out of scope in this discussion. For the first case of a synchronous response, it simply make sense that eb:From and eb:To would 99.9% be reversed. But this is not really the issue I was talking about.

That is the only statement I would challenge… (though it seems there are at least 2 TC members who think it should be so)

The practical side of this issue is:

- do we want to require MSHs to enforce this?

[Hamid]: Of course not. We cannot require an MSH to enforce that eb:From and eb:To are reversed for a response. In the same way we don’t require what values should be in the eb:From element of a request message (which is part of an agreement), there is no way we can require what values should be in the eb:From of a response message and that the sender MSH should enforce it. All what the sender MSH cares about is the payload returned in the response message. The only case where the sender MSH would care about eb:From in the response message is when this response message is itself a new request message (and this case can only happen if the response is asynchrnous).

- will that apply only to the [synchronous] “simple Request-reply MEP”? when later on we have more complex asynchronous MEPs with async response messages that have as much business semantics as the simple MEP will the MSH still need to do so? How would this interfere with possible use of wsa:ReplyTo ?

I’d say it is all well and good if an agreement or BP requires this – that can always be verified above MSH level, like so many other Bus Tx parameters like timing. That could also be enforced by the “processing mode” , i.e. configuration. Can we be so sure that this constraint suffers no exception that it should be hardcoded in the MSH (i.e. in MEP definition)? Aren’t we going to face such exceptions if we allow an MSH to be associated with several “eb:From” (or eb:To)?

Jacques