Subject: Re: [ebxml-msg] Groups - Multi-hop Signal Routing (ebMS-Signal-Routing.doc) uploaded

All,

is it really no option to extend signal message with extra header
information to give intermediaries the ability to route them? Jacques
mentions, what I think, two main reasons why these message don't
contain this kind of information. But I do have two remarks on them:

- I'm not so sure signal messages aren't intended for business
delivery. The receipt signal for example could have value at the
business level because it could confirm in a legally valid way that a
message was received.

- I agree that extra headers would be unnecessary overhead when the
message exchange is done peer-to-peer, so there's no need for routing
information. In a multi-hop situation however messages must include
information which enables intermediaries to route them to their
destination.
Both the Receipt and Error signal do already contain this information
by the RefToMessageId attribute. Routing on this field would however
require each intermediary to have an administration of received
message ids with their related sender, otherwise the reverse path
can't be determined. I think we can agree that this isn't a very
realistic solution. Therefor it seems reasonable to me to extend
signal messages with header information to make it possible for
intermediaries to route them to their destination.

Regards
Sander