Subject: RE: about testing: an example of Test assertions document:

For CAMP specification in OASIS:

https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/camp/download.php/51959/camp-ta-v1.1-wd15.doc

-jacques

From: ebxml-msg@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:ebxml-msg@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Jacques Durand
Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 5:09 PM
To: ebxml-msg@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [ebxml-msg] about testing

About AS4 testing:

As discussed today, we could learn from WS-I testing, and reuse some of its methodology/tools/artifacts.

First, it starts with writing plain English test assertions (TAs) . See the overall TA structure and methodology described in:  http://docs.oasis-open.org/tag/guidelines/v1.0/cn02/guidelines-v1.0-cn02.pdf

So writing TAs for conformance is what the TC could do if it wants to produce a practical definition of “conformance” to AS4/ebMS3 (beyond what the conformance clauses are stating). Then the implementers of a conformance test suite (whoever they are) would have to implement these test assertions, for their test suite to be “valid”.

The TC could stop there.  Some OASIS TCs did publish plain English test assertions (TAs): SCA TCs, CAMP.

Or the TC may want (or some of its members) to go further and do the job of developing a conformance test suite. This could be done following the 2-phase testing methodology used in WS-I:

See the intermediate message capture file sample Trace-BP12.Addressing-Test1191.log.xml  attached . Note that it contains a “messageLog” where each message is formatted in an XML container, including HTTP headers. Note that it also contain a WSDL file, for validating messages against it. In our case, that could be an XML representation of a Pmode… (if we define one). But it could otherwise just contain the messageLog.

See the ppt attached as a general case for “2-phase” testing.

The OSS “tamelizer”  tool implements the 2nd phase (analysis).  See doc in the download package:

http://code.google.com/p/tamelizer/

See attached a sample file TestAssertionsBasicProfile-1.2.xml of XML/Xpath scripted  test assertions for WS-I profile, that are fed to the “tamelizer” tool (actually, to an older WS-I specific version of this tool). Notice the Xpath2.0 expressions in the “target” and “predicate” of each TA.

If we adopt this approach, writing a conformance test suite for AS4 would amount to translating the English test assertions into XML/Xpath TAs. The rest is supported by the tamelizer tool. Such test suite can then be used either in a conformance testing context,  or in an interoperability testing context.

-jacques