Subject: Re: [ekmi] SKML 1.0 Specification - Edited with questions

StrongAuth, Inc.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Allen" <netsecurity@sound-by-design.com>
To: "Arshad Noor" <arshad.noor@strongauth.com>
Cc: ekmi@lists.oasis-open.org
Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2008 10:17:23 PM (GMT-0800) America/Los_Angeles

Hi Arshad,

Well, what can I say? Blind obedience to clearly inhuman rules leads
to further mistakes?

What you describe as requirements of the XML Schema demonstrates a
lack of understanding by the compliers of the schema of three key
elements of proper technical documentation: clarity, conciseness,
and white space.

The maintainers of the schema should be sent back to school to learn
how humans communicate best.

Enough said about that. So what do we do to make our documentation
less opaque? I suggest that we provide a non-normative section that
lays out the issues in the manner that you wrote in your e-mail and
then provides a translation into the obscurity required by the
schema. At least this way they get the understanding of what they
are attempting to accomplish and the logic underlying it all.

Some additional comments below.

Arshad Noor wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback, Allen.
>
> I agree that the earlier construct I provided in an e-mail last
> week was easier to understand, Allen.
>
> Unfortunately, it turns out that XML Schema does not allow you
> to define an element (with the same name) to contain either
> sub-elements or text content.  The only way to do this was with
> an attribute.  Since "any" is used to frequently in XML Schema,
> you have to qualify it with the "ekmi" namespace.
>
> The xsi:nil became another XML Schema requirement, because if
> you have an element that is defined to have some value in it
> (such as a number range or enumerated list, etc.), having a
> null element causes schema-validation failures, *unless* you
> have the "xsi:nil" attribute set to "true".

Is it possible to have have this to a numerical like range where
zero (or ten for that matter) equals the same as "any" and other
numbers indicate more restrictive uses? This might avoid having to
add the xsi confusion.

> That said, Auditors will not likely be searching protocol
> messages between SKMS clients and servers when auditing an
> EKMI.

If they do not look at the actual messages and compare it to what
the policies say, how will they know that the messages haven't been
compromised at some point?

Frankly any auditor that failed to sample the messages should have
their audit certificates revoked. This is the equivalent of looking
at the check book stubs and declaring all is right with the world
and never looking at the check to see who they are actually made out
to, who cashed them and what stamps were used to endorse them. You'd
never get a bank auditor to do it this way unless they were crooked.

> They will query the Administration Console for all Key-
> UsePolicies that have NULL values for Permissions.  The console
> will then perform an SQL database search for NULL values and
> show them the policies that meet the search criteria.

Policies are not procedures. Knowing and acting on this is the
difference between a policy that is ignored in the breach and one
that is actually followed day to day.

> If an Auditor is diligent enough and wants to see the actual
> protocol message between a server and a client for one of the
> KeyUsePolicies, then they will more than likely use an XML
> Schema tool such as NetBeans, Eclipse, etc. to view the XML
> elements in graphics mode and then view the content they're
> interested in, in text.

And, pray tell, how do they know the tool does what it says it does?
It is an iron clad rule of auditing that you start as close to the
actual transaction as possible - maybe doing just a valid
statistical sample - and then run that through higher level tools to
validate that the tools are not, by accident or design, distoring
the results.

> Additionally, we have another goal for this TC - which we will
> get around to in 2009: creating a conformance test-suite so
> that protocol implementations can be tested.  That conformance
> certificate from OASIS will also tell the Auditors something
> about a a company's EKMI implementation.

However, as I say above, to be sure that a conformance test suite is
delivering valid output, one needs to examine both the actual
messages and the rules that implement the protocol. If this is not
done then one is simply looking at the ledger of accounts, not how
the expenditures are made. There lies the opportunity for fraud, or
in the case of EKMI, massive breaches that could be missed.

> Hope that addresses your concern, Allen.

As much as it is possible to do so with the constraints you
describe, you have done so.

I do think we need to push back on this so that future documentation
is designed for human readability and understanding, not some
formalistic structure that ignores the humans that use the
documentation and implement the protocol.

Best,

Allen