Subject: Re: [ekmi] [Fwd: [p2p-hackers] TODAY/URGENT: Stop IETF Enactmentof Patented Standard for TLS]

I guess I am being a little semantic, Allen, because all applications
send messages, after all. :-).

However, if "end-to-end security" means "application-to-application
security" and if it makes business people understand that EKMI can
give them "end-to-end security", then I'm all for it.

Arshad

Allen wrote:
> [...]
>> scores of banks and credit unions from across North America have
>> stepped forward to say their customers are among those whose cards
>> were compromised in the breach."
>>
>> http://www.bankinfosecurity.com/articles.php?art_id=1200&rf=021109eb
>
> Maybe we could think of a better term that is more descriptive of what
> we are promoting. What do people think of "end-to-end data security?"
> Getting the right term is often the best way to get adoption as people
> understand it from the beginning and it feels comfortable.
>
> Best,
>
> Allen
>
> Arshad Noor wrote:
>> Allen,
>>
>> Thanks for forwarding this.  I wish I had time to read the IETF DRAFT
>> before forming an opinion on this, but I don't.
>>
>> However, I wouldn't feel too bad even if this proprietary technology
>> made it into an RFC standard.  The market has gotten smarter in the
>> last 10 years and will not be so accepting of technologies if people
>> don't see a clear benefit over professional open-source.
>>
>> One advantage of SKSML we all haven't discussed is the notion that it
>> promotes "message-level security", which has a huge-advantage over
>> TLS, SSL and IPSec: that it is secure all the way upto the application
>> layer.  Given the kinds of breaches we're seeing professional attackers
>> performing, network-level security is about as useful as a firewall -
>> necessary as a baseline just in case you forgot something, but hardly
>> a defense-mechanism that allows you to sleep at night.
>>
>> IMHO, the new breed of secure applications will rely only on "message-
>> level security", since this allows the payload to be secure on the
>> network, on the disk, in caches, in the middleware - anywhere, except
>> where the application chooses to use it in plaintext.
>>
>> Arshad
>>
>> Allen wrote:
>>> I think this might merit the attention of the people of the EKMI TC.
>>> Although it is not directly related to EKMI, it does show the
>>> potential threat to open source that needs to be addressed by all who
>>> value it. If one company can manage to push through a "proposed
>>> standard" and then threaten to sue if it is used, it puts all open
>>> source projects at risk of having to "prove" prior art or that the
>>> company is being over broad in its claims.
>>>
>>> In a way this parallels the Unix suits that have eaten a lot of money
>>> and energy. We must not let this happen again, if possible.
>>>
>>> Thanks for you time and attention.
>>>
>>> Warmest Regards,
>>>
>>> Allen Schaaf - CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CEI
>>> Information Security Analyst - Business Process Analyst
>>> Training & Instructional Designer - Sr. Writer & Documentation
>>> Developer - Certified Network Security Analyst & Intrusion
>>> Forensics Investigator - Certified EC-Council Instructor
>>> http://www.linkedin.com/in/allenschaaf
>>>
>>> Security is lot like democracy - everyone's for it but
>>> few understand that you have to work at it constantly.

>>> for sending and receiving authorizations defined in TLS Authorizations