Subject: Re: EML Clarifying Questions

Karl and Deborah - Thank you for your responses to my last email to the
list, they were helpful.

Gregg - Thank you, also, for your comments. The further explanations on the
committee 'statement of purpose' and creating sub-specifications for EML
were clarifying.

A few follow-up thoughts…

----------

Gregg McGilvray wrote:
"I think that you are reading too much into the statement of purpose."

Hmm. Perhaps so. Just trying to get a handle on the parameters and
perspectives that define what EML will become.

----------

"Any interchange of data will be to a software package or a hardware device."

With my references to various people using or creating XML - such as with
direct person-to-person data interchange or with the creation of an XML
representation of a punch-card ballot - the underlying idea was that the
people would be interacting with XML via some form of software tool. I was
assuming this would be understood, so I didn't state it explicitly.

----------

"Since XML is an electronic data interchange standard the primary focus
would be on communications between electronic devices and systems."

XML is commonly used for data-interchange, however it's also used for other
purposes. Some examples …

- Cocoon stores content in XML format, then dynamically transforms it and
serves it out in many different formats - HTML, PDF, WML, XHTML, etc. The
XML data remains on the server. (http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/)

- XHTML can be used, just as HTML is, to create electronic documentation
for software programs. The XHTML travels from a CD-ROM or hard disk to the
person's monitor screen, but not (necessarily) across a network.
(http://www.winwriters.com/talks/lastc/lastc6.htm)

- XUL is used to define cross-platform user interfaces. In the case of the
Mozilla and Netscape 6 browsers, XUL resides on the same computer the
browser is on. It doesn't travel between machines.
(http://www.xulplanet.com/tutorials/xultu/)

- DocBook can be used for "direct authoring" and for "publishing directly
to paper". Neither of these uses involves data-interchange.
(http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/intro.html)

- Conglomerate is considering using XML for enhanced source code editing.
The XML would remain on a single machine.
(http://www.conglomerate.org/docs/code_editing.html)

- OpenOffice and StarOffice are working to use XML as the native file
format for their application programs - including word processing,
spreadsheets, etc. This would involve only a single computer.
(http://xml.openoffice.org/)

To quote Erik Ray, author of "Learning XML" from O'Reilly -

"On one level, XML is a protocol for containing and managing information.
On another level, it's a family of technologies that can do everything from
formatting documents to filtering data. And on the highest level, it's a
philosophy for information handling that seeks maximum usefulness and
flexibility for data by refining it to its purest and most structured form.
A thorough understanding of XML touches on all these levels."  (Learning
XML, page 2)

I tend to think that focusing exclusively on using XML for data-interchange
hinders the discovery of ways in which XML can deliver maximum benefit to
the elections community.

I haven't yet had the time to write out some thoughts on presentation and
accessibility issues. I will get to that when I can.

Best Regards,
Thom