Subject: RE: Things to do - Requirement Document. Security.

All,

Security and audibility requirements will differ depending upon which part
of the elections process is being examined. IMHO much of the discussion
seems to be focused  solely on the casting of a vote but from the point of
view of an elections administrator and to some extent a vendor, elections
are much more than Election Day.

Auditing an election needs to take account of voter registration practices
and should not solely be confined to discussions about whether it is
possible/necessary/legal to be able to trace the voter's choice as recorded
on the ballot document.  Voters may need to be registered before casting a
vote or they may no.  In some election jurisdictions registration may take
place only between certain dates in others it is rolling. What will be
important is auditing voter eligibility and at the time of issuing the
ballot document ensuring that the ballot is provided only to those
authorised to vote.

Secondly, forgive me if I may sound a little frustrated (but I am becoming
increasingly so :) )with the idea that voter anonymity is the same as a
secret ballot.  It isn't!   These are two separate issues and they are
handled differently in different jurisdictions.  Voting systems must ensure
that voters can
(i)cast their votes in privacy - this means no one is looking over their
shoulder telling them how to mark the ballot
and
(ii)their votes can be *kept* secret - this means that the voter's expressed
choice is not later available to or used by parties that may have an
interest in influencing the outcome of the election.

Neither of these equate to voter anonymity.  In the US anonymity of the
ballot document is *how* this is achieved but it is not necessarily the only
way it is or can be achieved.

Keeping votes secret relies as much on the diligence in application of
elections procedures as on the characteristics of the process.

OK - rant over!  ;)

regards,

Kevin Broadfoot
Principal Consultant

Baltimore Technologies (UK) Ltd, Innovation House, Mark Road, Hemel
Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 7DN, UK.
Tel: +44 (0) 1442 342600 Fax: +44 (0) 1442 212513 Mob: +44 (0) 07867
528803

E-mail mailto:kbroadfoot@baltimore.com
Website http://www.baltimore.com