Subject: RE: [election-services] RE: EML TC MEETING AGENDA

Perhaps we can agree on some basic principals first.
Jason,
In the discussion paper I tried to separate out the registration process
from the actual voting process, as I see it they have very different
security and particularly authentication requirements.

At the time of registration,  authentication of the actual person is
required. This is needed to determine the rights of the individual to cast
the votes ( i.e what voting privileges are to be given to the individual).

At the time of voting, authentication of the ballot itself is required.

I believe this procedure mirrors the current postal ballot process used
around the world.

The issue is that the whole I-voting process will break down if the user
verification during the registration process is inadequate and people can
masquerade as other people and hence get their voting rights.

JR

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Kitcat [mailto:jeep@free-project.org]
Sent: 17 October 2001 18:49
To: election-services@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi,

>Have you a specific change you would like to see.

Well I don't see how I can make any small changes to the document...
the whole thing effectively specifies an Internet Voting system which
is dependent on certain processes which themselves are dependent on
things like digital certificates and/or signatures.

What I'm challenging is why that level of detail is needed for the
XML standard... our system, GNU.FREE, doesn't need
certificates/signatures and uses different processes. I'm sure other
systems such as those being developed in Tanzania, Australia; by
VoteHere; by PWC and so on also will have different procedures and
processes. It seems pointless to over-specify....

Thus my suggestion is to keep this whole process broad... or at least
I need to be convinced that insisting that a certain, say, voter
registration process is followed for EML to be used is indeed of
great benefit that outweighs allowing diversity.

Clear as mud?

regards,
Jason

--