Subject: RE: [election-services] RE: EML TC MEETING AGENDA

To do any standardisation work there is a need for a model.  I assume this
will be done as part of defining the architecture. Thus the architecture
paper will identify the interface points were standard schema will apply.

However, I agree that the security paper makes some assumption about the
architecture, which may or may not turn out to be true.

In the security paper it is assumed an I-voting service has three possible
standardised interface points, Voter application, Ballot delivery  and Vote
delivery (this comes from the list of XML schema the group is trying to
agree standards for).   That does not mean that every system implemented
will have to interoperate with every other systems at all the standard
interfaces, but if they do then they will need to support the standard
schemas and have security mechanism that meet the requirement at that
interface.

As for GNU.FREE, as you explained the voter gets a client application which
already contains the 'ballot'.  In which case GNU.FREE will not need to
support the ballot delivery schema and hence will have no need for standard
security features which support the ballot delivery schema.

I have look at the paper again and tried to take out any specific PKI and
digital signature references.  However, PKI, certificates and digital
signatures are a valid digital id solution, but not the only one.