Subject: Re: [election-services] Report and questions from informal meeting with IEEE voting team members

John,

Excellent.

I'll notify IEEE folks on this - I'm sure they will be pleased on the
pre-ballot mechanism.

A month at sea in the Arctic I'm sure can change anyones voting
perspectives!

Cheers, DW

----- Original Message -----
From: "Borras, John" <John.Borras@legsb.gov.uk>
To: "David Webber (XML)" <david@drrw.info>
Cc: <election-services@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2005 3:17 AM
Subject: RE: [election-services] Report and questions from informal meeting
with IEEE voting team members

David

This all sounds very encouraging.  The answers to the two questions are:

1.  The link between voter and vote is optional and reflects the differences
globally on this point.  The UK and NZ require the link to be available for
court order proceedings in case of disputes, but elsewhere it is not
allowed.

2.  On the second point about Sweden voting early and changing votes, yes we
have accommodated this through the concept of the pre-ballot box in EML v4.
This was one of the major changes I picked up in the work with the Council
of Europe.  BTW Denmark has the same requirement. Something to do with
fishermen voting before they go off on long periods at sea but being able to
change their vote if they return in time for election day!

Keep up the good work with IEEE.