Subject: RE: [election-services] Ballot counting - bridging between EML 410 and EML 230

Title: Message
David & Paul -

Our optical tabulators work in the way David has described.  We produce results that show the voted positions.  Due to rotations, there may be multiple ballot layouts at a given location, so a tabulator would need to also provide what ballot form the voted positions were associated with.  Then, the coupling of voting position tabulation with ballot form mapping of the voting position to the contest/selection would allow the results to be rendered.

- Peter
Peter Zelechoski, ES&S
-----Original Message-----
From: David RR Webber (XML) [mailto:david@drrw.info]
Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 9:42 AM
To: Paul Spencer
Cc: eml

Paul,

Ok - that will certainly work - and that is what I was looking for.

I'll go with this as the solution approach.

The only caveat then is that you could still have a 230 out there exposing the names and codes - but given the counting code is open source - that should not be an issue (e.g if the wrong 230 ended up being subsituted).
This level of use of the schema brings up (again) the notion of templates for the EML schema use patterns.

This would be a use pattern for counting, obviously.

Maybe we can introduce something into the appendix noting each pattern available and then provide samples externally in the doc.oasis-open.org/elections directory?

This is something other TCs are also moving to with the new releases of spec's - so we can certainly follow that approach for our 5.0 release.

We'll need to ask OASIS to setup the docs. area for us however.

Thanks, DW