Subject: Re: [election-services-comment] more on 630 OptionsList

David

We have a meeting of our Technical Committee next week at which I will raise your suggestions.  I will let you know the outcome of our discussions.

Regards

John Borras
Chair EML TC

David Mas <david.mas@scytl.com> wrote:
Hi,
First of all I would like to thank you all for your attention on the issue of the referendum options internationalization.

In respect of your proposal I agree with you that 'ProposalItem' can be used for internationalizing but, is it an optimal way of doing it?
Using a 'ProposalItem' seems a denormalization of the data represented (localized referendum questions and answers):

Each 'ProposalItem' element can represent a question or answer in one language, so if we had a referendum question with 3 possible answers localized in 3 languages, we would need 12 'ProposalItem' elements to represent it fully (1 question text + 3 answer text times 3 languages to internationalize). This only goes a little worse because of the multiplicity of its parent element 'Proposal'. In the end we would need 12 'Election' elements (each of them with their mandatory 'ElectionIdentifier'). And that is just for a single question!

For the actual development we will use your approach but we also would like to suggest some improvements on this message for your consideration:
- As it is now, the 'Election' tag accepts a single element. Wouldn't it be better to allow it to contain multiple 'Proposal' elements (one for each contest) inside the 'Election'?
- Also, the 'Proposal' could allow to define all its related answers (Options) inside, by using a 'MessagesStructure' which is the perfect element to allow internationalization.
- Please note that these do not imply the suppression of the identifier elements, and simplifies the structure (and thus the parsing and generation) of the message.

Regards,

--
David Mas Santaló, Senior Software Engineer

e-mail: david.mas@scytl.com
phone: +34 934 230 324
fax: +34 933 251 028

Scytl Secure Electronic Voting
C. Tuset 20 1-7
08006 Barcelona, Spain
http://www.scytl.com

NOTICE: The information in this e-mail and in any of its attachments is
confidential and intended solely for the attention and use of the named
addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,
copying, distribution or retaining of this message or any part of it,
without the prior written consent of Scytl Secure Electronic Voting SA,
is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this in error,
please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

This publicly archived list offers a means to provide input to the
OASIS Election and Voter Services TC.

In order to verify user consent to the Feedback License terms and
to minimize spam in the list archive, subscription is required
before posting.

Subscribe: election-services-comment-subscribe@lists.oasis-open.org