Subject: RE: [election-services] Top 10 Reasons for using EML

John,

The 10 points list looks good.  To enhance our argument, we might write a Top 10 Reasons for Using EML Details document to accompany the list.  The Details document would have the same structure as the list, but each claim and subclaim in the list have a explanatory section or subsection in the Details document.  Producing the Details document not only demonstrates that we justify our claims, but it would also help us strengthen and scrub those claims.

As far as EML 6.0 goes, we might consider focusing on usability and support rather than enhancement.  For release 6, we could develop in-depth tutorials; document best practices; develop localization templates, kits, or methodologies; and document case studies.  We could also try to engage practitioners in the field (like the VIP collaboration) to help us stay well-directed.  When I recently referred a student to EML as a technology to use in a research project, the student found EML to be rather complex.  Simplifying EML use in whatever way we can would be good thing.  We might consider not adding anything new to EML 6.0 unless a clear need from a real user has been demonstrated, or unless it truly simplifies EML usage.

Rich