Subject: Re: [election-services] Progress and EML submission status for ISO/IEC JTC1: questions for TC

Thanks for the contributions.  Clearly we have some differences of opinions.  Let me just clarify a few points.

First Paul's point about the lack of adoption of later ISO versions, that's a worry and I'd be interested to hear of other experiences of this.  If it's true it has to be a serious consideration for us in reaching our decision on what to do.

Second the point about the time taken to prepare a new version.  It tool us almost 12 months to do v5 and a little less to v4. That's because we have been totally reliant on a few individuals who also have day jobs.  If we could get the resources from larger organisations  as Paul pleas for then we could do better next time round, but I'm not optimistic about that.  Also I see v6 as a major piece of work if we are going to adopt the data model approach which has been suggested. So doing it even in 6 months will be a challenge.

Third, David's point about wait and see.  Do nothing is not an option.  If we do nothing as I understand it, and Jamie will correct me if I'm wrong, ISO will proceed with our current submission and vote in due course.  That will probably fail and thus diminish our prospects for any future submission. So we have to either amend our current submission to give it a better chance of success or withdraw it and re-submit later.

I'll let this debate continue for a few more days to see what contributions we get from other TC members, then call a TC meeting and hold a vote.  That doesn't auger well as we'll probably have a split vote which will not be good for us going forward.

M. +44 (0)7976 157745
Skype: gov3john

From: David RR Webber (XML) <david@drrw.info>
To: Paul Spencer <paul.spencer@boynings.co.uk>
Cc: Laurent Liscia <laurent.liscia@oasis-open.org>; Mary McRae <mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org>; John Borras <johnaborras@yahoo.co.uk>; EML TC <election-services@lists.oasis-open.org>; James Bryce Clark <jamie.clark@oasis-open.org>
Sent: Wednesday, 7 January, 2009 17:48:57

Paul,

This comes down to John's assertion that it will take a year to get V6 thru the process.  I'm not sure I agree with that.

My sense is we can get that done in 6 months now we are all much older and wiser in that regard.  Plus I've been developing tools to dramatically reduce the manual effort needed to produce the deliverables in the specification.

Being smarter about how we deliver the specification - and this impacts support and maintenance in future too - is another strong reason to opt for this.

Of course these two choices are possibly not mutually exclusive.  In both cases we are deciding to take a time out and wait and see when ISO gets done.

Therefore - we're already in wait and see mode.  Next its a decision - once we decide to re-submit - which version do we go with?

I'm seeing we can actually defer that for a month or so here - give us time to make progress on V6 - and then assess where we are at in time and space when the opportunity to re-submit is presented.

Of course this is a driver for us getting on with V6 - but this is not the only driver in that regard.   Come end of February, beginning of March - we may have an even bigger major driver here in the US if I'm reading the tea leaves correctly...

Thanks, DW