Subject: RE: [election-services] Twitter and Elections / Action Groups / Partyapparatus and Open Sourced Democracy

Joe,

In California they have these V records they are getting off the voting machines electronically - columnar text layout flatfiles.  Those are being loaded into a SQL database - and then the EML is being generated off the SQL by VB program.

At a minimum for true audits - you need two sets of independently created records - or minimally counts - so you can compare!  Whatever format those are in - you can refactor to EML to facilitate that...

Thanks, DW

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [election-services] Twitter and Elections / Action Groups
/ Party apparatus and Open Sourced Democracy
From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall <joehall@berkeley.edu>
Date: Thu, February 05, 2009 2:53 pm
To: "David RR Webber (XML)" <david@drrw.info>
Cc: eml <election-services@lists.oasis-open.org>

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 2:42 PM, David RR Webber (XML) <david@drrw.info> wrote:
> Joe,
>
> Actually the reverse is true! The EML 530 is something the States
> themselves can do independently of the vendors!
>
> California actually build theirs out of the database they maintain of all
> the precinct level votes cast and reported to them by the various vendors
> kit.

This is the hard part... I suspect they have a number of data entry
people doing some or a lot of this. I'd love to know more and if they
just transform vendor reports (I'd like to know which ones) into EML.

> While not ideal for strict auditing purposes - it does provide for
> statistical and trend analysis at a minimum - and may have other
> applicabilities - subject to States supporting requests for additional
> gradularity in what is reported statistically.

Yeah, I don't think we've done a good job in the academic community
specifying what data elements we need for audit purposes.
Essentially, we need results at the level of granularity at which
audits are performed for a given system. Anyway, I can talk more
about this if people are interested. best, Joe