Subject: RE: [election-services] EML 530 schema?

Joe

From the very outset of EML we have recognised that local jurisdictions
would need to localise the standard and indeed in our documentation we
have shown them how they can do that with Schematron.  So it is fully in
order for CA SoS to introduce local variations, in this case a 530, for
their own purposes.  When we in the TC come to scope our next release we
should and do review any local variations to assess whether there are
generic enough to include in the next version of the standard or whether
they are so local specific that they do not warrant inclusion.  So there
will always be situations were local use gets out of step or has
variants to the approved standard.  We cannot stop that nor should we
seek to do so. Observers and potential other users need to be careful of
what is being used in any situation and check how much is "non-standard"
and make their own decisions or seek our advice on whether they should
copy that implementation.

So I do not see any issue about this unless the CA SoS claimed that
their implementation was totally EML compliant. If that was the case
then we should have either corrected that mis-information or made it
clear that we intended to adopt that change in our next release.  I
think the latter is the more likely in this instance.  We should also
recognise that David was acting on his own behalf when working for them
and not at that point as an agent for the TC.

I hope this allays your concerns but if you wish to discuss it further
then I'd be happy to add it to the agenda for our next TC call?

Skype:  gov3john
m.  +44 (0)7976 157745