Subject: RE: [election-services] EML v6 : EAC REQUIREMENTS

Peter,

Good clarification.

I forgot about procedural scripts - I tend to naturally think machine scripts!

This is all that stuff relating to running water dripping at 2" per hour from ceiling spigots on to equipment, then letting it stand for 2 hours and switching it on to see if it still works.

Along with the baffling test of 10,000,000 writes and reads to and from a disk drive.

What that has to do with election integrity is beyond me - but I'm sure NIST are doing a wonderful job of documenting all that "stuff".

Thanks, DW

-------- Original Message --------
From: "Zelechoski, Peter" <pzelechoski@essvote.com>
Date: Wed, May 13, 2009 2:10 pm
To: "David RR Webber (XML)" <david@drrw.info>
Cc: "eml" <election-services@lists.oasis-open.org>

David -

The test suites that are being developed are to enhance the current standards evaluation/certification process.  There is an established, current standard.  It is being used to evaluate all vendor systems that are submitted for review by the Independent Test Authorities that the EAC recognizes.  Those ITAs have been free to build their own test plans/scripts in the past, leading to a wide variance in the plans.  To be more consistent, they are trying to build formal ones that all ITAs must use for all submitted systems.  A vast majority of the review is machine and security centric; the interchange of information is only a portion of the standard and of the review.

- Peter