Subject: Re: [election-services] Fwd: EVT/WOTE '09: Call for Voting System Demonstration Proposals

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 5:33 AM, John Borras<john@pensive.eu> wrote:
> Just to pick up on your last point, I have attended some WOTE conferences here in Europe and as you say they are not generally interested in simply "you should use EML".  Which is a shame because getting the fundamental message across of the need for standardization at the data and interface levels is in my opinion the one that we need to keep flogging if e-voting is to take-off successfully and be adopted universally.

Most of us are already convinced that commercial products should use
EML (We've mentioned it in ACCURATE's past two comments on VSS/VVSG).
In fact, we (a berekeley stats prof., his student, 7 election
officials and myself) have a pretty powerful paper in this conference
where one of the central points is that a lack of support for
machine-processable structured output is a big hindrance for advanced
forms of statistical audits:

http://josephhall.org/f743e47d4ae7dd65eb11c0744603e457/jhall_evtwote09.pdf

(Note that this link will be replaced at some point today as we will
publish a preprint that updates it a bit.)

best, Joe

--
Joseph Lorenzo Hall
ACCURATE Postdoctoral Research Associate