Subject: Re: [election-services] Online ballot delivery - the nay sayers view

John,

I completely agree.

I was merely pointing to this kind of negativity as a backdrop - to help us focus our message
in a proper light that will be well received.

I have to say though as to the technology side of all this - as an engineer - I know I can
solve this - and indeed all the components are there - and I know how to do everything needed.
People scoff - but then people scoffed at the idea of sending a man to the moon too.

I look at a solution I helped deliver for DHS three years ago in a similar light, now its working
and proven, and what do you know, the FBI now has included it as a lynchpin in their new
N-DEx solution.  Previously there was a whole raft of nay sayers there too, you cannot do
secure information sharing with all the safe guards you need that will be usable.

Anyway - given the realities of current funding and budgets - knowing how to solve the problems
and deliver the solution is moot when sadly there is none and no will to achieve it - and
particularly when the funding that was available has been spent on all the wrong answers!

Deja vu all over again.

Back to the seminar.  I think there is high value in getting our message out there on how
common data formats can provide significant long term cost savings, improve information
accuracy, solution testing and integration.  Next results reporting - think that is a no-brainer
and again adds transparency and auditability to the process. And then the blank ballot delivery
compared to vagaries of postal mail, again no brainer.

In terms of audience and positioning - I'd like to see us aim broadly at election folks rather
than technical audience.  As we keep hearing from vendors - if customers ask for it - we'll do it.
So let's talk to their customers!!!

DW