emergency-cap-profiles message

Subject: Response to [Jamie Clark's] CAP profiles planning email[SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

UNCLASSIFIED
Jamie,

Thank you for this explanation of the proposed approach to the Profiles planning process.

I would like to confirm back to you that Australian CAP Users certainly want a CAP Profile delivered for Australia that has been developed under the highest standards of assurance and transparency and which is fully supported by OASIS.  I feel that the proposed process you described in your email offers Australia the level of assurance we seek and I also believe it actually enhances the assurance we are already progressing through the government standards development processes I am managing in Australia in parallel with this OASIS activity.

Following today's Profiles SC telecon, I have revised the process map that I had previously developed and will be posting the new version onto Kavi as an updated version to the previous document.  I request that Scott and the selected Task 3 Performer review the schedule and activities I have annotated in the revision to the process map and confirm to me whether I have captured all the necessary steps and estimated an appropriate duration for the proposed activities.  I'd like to sort out a workable schedule for this process before the end of this week (US time) so that I can contact my CAP Stakeholders on Monday (AU time) to advise them of the revised CAP(AU)P development schedule and document development intentions.

I can see that we need to ensure our distribution agreement allows for the Australian material to be "donated" to OASIS and allows OASIS to re-donate that material to third parties.  I will be sending you a separate email regarding distribution issues later this week.

Finally, could you please arrange for an appropriate OASIS staff member to respond to the following clarification questions:

1) Do OASIS wish to test the implementation of the Profiles before the final Committee Specification document is produced?  This step was not discussed and was not alluded to in your information below.  I have included this issue in the process map at step 11 and highlight that it will impose a dependency upon OASIS being able to complete the production of the Final Committee Specification as I see that there is no point producing that final document when there could be changes required from the implementation testing that Australia is required to conduct in order to satisfy our development process.

2) After having reviewed the IPAWS Committee Specification I found from the internet, I am keen to find out the following:

a) how OASIS would recommend that the Australian Attorney-General's Department will be able to stamp our Departmental logo on the CAP(AU)P Committee Specification document that OASIS will produce, in order to show a joint development and approval effort has gone into the development of the CAP(AU) Profile?

b) whether OASIS would object to the final CAP(AU)P product that is approved by the OASIS EM-TC, being attached as a stand alone Supplementary Document to the CAP(AU)P document I am already working on (a snapshot of my version 0.2 was posted onto Kavi yesterday)?  I can see from the content of the IPAWS document that much of the value-adding I have done in my document will not need to be used, so rather than waste that rich content that we have already developed, I will be considering whether Australia should adapt to the fact that a separate document will be produced by OASIS and combine that document into the overarching Australian Government Standard we are producing, which will include the Australian Event Code list as another Supplementary Document.  I did not wish to delegate this information to an Implementation Guide because we have no resourcing or approval to produce something down at the Implementation Level – we will be leaving that responsibility up to the various Users of CAP in Australia.

3) Re: Maintenance issues you raised in #6. – Does “cooperative maintenance” assume that Australia is maintaining active OASIS Membership ?  If it does not assume active membership then a cooperative approach is certainly what we would seek; however, I can foresee the situation where our membership might be forced to lapse if the Australian CAP Stakeholders do not nominate any CAP(AU)P Update activities within a given financial year, so there will be no justifiable business case to continue funding the 12 month duration membership fee.  Our ultimate plan is to survey the Australian CAP Stakeholders every year to determine a CAP work program for future financial years, so I can certainly see the potential risk emerging that the Stakeholders will not be able to justify continuance of the OASIS membership because it will be difficult for them to predict when they might be seeking updates.

Greg Trott
CAP(AU)P Project Manager
Australian Government Attorney-General's Department
Tel: +61 - 2 - 6141 3904  |  Mobile: +61 - 411 278 555