emergency-comment message

Subject: FW: [CAP] Bad Examples in CAP Spec (UPPERCASE is bad human factors)

Forwarded from cap-list@incident.com on request of Allen Wyke. Same
for following messages.

-----Original Message-----
It is unfortunate that the examples in the CAP spec use all uppercase
letters in human readable text. These examples "teach" bad human
factors.

Numerous studies have been done of reading comprehension for all
upper-case and mixed-case text. Every study has shown that
comprehension and speed of reading are lower for texts that are
written in all upper-case.

Since it is vital that human-readable text in the kind of messages
that CAP will be used for is read quickly and without error, it seems
to me that there should be a "Best Practice" note that strongly
discourages the use of all upper-case human readable text.
Additionally, I suggest that any examples of CAP mesages should avoid
violating this "Best Practice."

        bob wyman
        CTO, PubSub Concepts, Inc.
        http://pubsub.com/