emergency-comment message

Subject: Public Comment

Comment from: tenneking@cleo.com

Name:  Todd Enneking
Title:  VP Engineering
Regarding Specification:  EDXL-DE 1.0 (19, August 2005)

I am a new member of OASIS. The specification is excellent and has great value. Good work to all who participated.

Comments / suggested changes...

2.2, bullet 9., then bullet 8. The incident name or other identifier of one or more event or incident
- "event" and "incident" should be plural

2.2, bullet 11., then bullet 7. The incident name or other identifier of one or more event or incident
- "event" and "incident" should be plural

2.3.2, first two sentences should be changed from:
"A Radiological sensor     triggered at a prominent Tunnel toll booth. Radiation alarm levels indicates  possible dirty bomb."
To:
"A Radiological sensor was triggered at a prominent Tunnel toll booth. Radiation alarm levels indicate a possible dirty bomb."

2.3.3, the first and last uses of "resource" should be plural

2.3.4, "These" in the last sentence should be "This"

3.1 and others, "explicitAddress" should be changed to "explicitRecipientAddress" for further clarification. At first glance I wasn't sure of this was the address for the sender or recipient.

3.2.1, all 6 occurrences of "List and Associated Value(s)" (EDXLDistribution/senderRole, EDXLDistribution/recipientRole,
EDXLDistribution/keyword, contentObject/contentKeyword, contentObject/originatorRole, contentObject/consumerRole)...
- in Comments 1., "is" should be "are"
- in Comments 1., "valueListURN" should be "valueListUrn" (only 5 locations, it is correct in contentObject/contentKeyword) or maybe they should all be capitals ("valueListURN")
- in Comments 2., "Multiple instances of the <value>, MAY..." can do without the "the" and the comma (,)
- in Comments 2., It is not clear whether or not there can be multiple <valueListUrn>s. It seems to imply that only one is allowed. In either case it should be specified. If only one is allowed then, 3.2.5, element valueListUrn Usage should be changed to "OPTIONAL, MAY use once".
- in Comments 3., this is redundant with "Usage" and can be removed

3.2.1, element EDXLDistribution/senderRole, some examples would be good

3.2.1, element EDXLDistribution/recipientRole, some examples would be good

3.2.1, element EDXLDistribution/distributionReference...
- in Comments 2., after "cancels", consider adding ", responds to, acknowledges, errors out" for further clarification

3.2.1, element EDXLDistribution/combinedConfidentiality...
- in Comments, first bullet, I suggest making this explicit so that this value must be equal to or more restrictive than the most restrictive of the <confidentialitiy>s. Using "Generally" leaves it too open, though there may be some understanding here that is trying to be allowed for

3.2.2, element EDXLDistribution/targetArea, Usage...
- I suggest changing "MAY use multile" to "MAY use once". I say this because each of its sub-elements can by multiple so there is no need for multiple target areas. It only adds to more complicated programming (granted, not a lot) with no added value that I can see.

3.2.2, element targetArea/polygon...
- Are points (2 lat-long pairs) and lines (3 lat-long pairs) acceptable? In either case, it should probably be identified as such.

3.2.3 Regarding xmlContent and nonXMLContent elements...
- It is not clear whether or not there can be multiple xmlContent or multiple nonXMLContent elements. I believe the answer should be NO. I believe NO is corrent since contentObject can have multiples. In either case, it should be explicitely stated. One way to achieve the indication of no multiples is to make the Usage on both xmlContent and nonXMLContent to be "CONDITIONAL, MAY Use once".
- Similarly, it is not clear whether or not there can be both an xmlContent element and a nonXMLContent element. I believe the answer should be NO. I believe NO is corrent since I believe that is the intent and since contentObject can have multiples. In either case, it should be explicitely stated. One way to achieve the indication of only one or the other would be by changing the Comments of contentObject from "...MUST contain one of the two..." to "...MUST contain one, and only one, of the two..."

3.2.3, element contentObject...
- in Comments 2., and then 2., "on" should be "one"

3.2.4, element nonXMLContent...
- in Comments 2., If both exist and the data is truly identical, then they are redundant. I believe the spirit here would be that they are almost always the same, but that the URI (generally an Internet location) may have been recently updated so it should be used when possible. However, in the event that access to the Internet is down, the provided data could be used (even if it might be a bit older, because it is acceptable to be used). So, my opinion is that this section should specify that if both exist, use the URI first, then use the attached data if necessary, with the intent being that the URI would be the latest and greatest (updated first), but it is okay to use the provided data if necessary.

3.2.4, element size...
- in Definition, there is white space prior to the period at the end of the sentence.

3.2.4, element uri...
- Usage should be "CONDITIONAL, MAY use once" since at least one of uri and contentData must exist (as per Comments in nonXMLContent) which indicates that "OPTIONAL" should be replaced.

3.2.4, element contentData...
- Usage should be "CONDITIONAL, MAY use once". See above (uri).
- in Comments 1., for clarification, perhaps add before "is not feasible" "may not be or "

3.2.5, element keyXMLContent...
- Consistancy in capitalization of the XML portion throughout would be a minor improvement.

3.2.5, element embeddedXMLContent...
- I believe the Usage needs to be "REQUIRED, MUST use once" since I believe there mujst be data, otherwise there is no need for xmlContent.

3.2.5 List and Associated Value(s) Support...
- This should be 3.2.6

3.2.5, element valueListUrn...
- Usage should be "OPTIONAL, MAY use once" or "OPTIONAL, MAY use multiple", depending upon above comments. I believe "once" is in-line with the intention within the 6 elements. There is no case where this element is required to exist, so "conditional" is not required.

3.2.5, element value...
- Usage should be "OPTIONAL, MAY use multiple" to relfect the intent in the 6 elements where this is used. There is no case where this element is required to exist, so "conditional" is not required.