emergency-comment message

Subject: Public Comment

Comment from: david@simulation.cc

Name: David Upton
Title: Director

Regarding Specification: Emergency Data Exchange Language (EDXL) Distribution Element, v. 1.0, Committee Draft, 19, August 2005

Is this intended purely as a US project or is it meant to be used internationally? (I notice that most or all of your committee appear to be US based.) Apart from anything else, US agencies must sometimes share information with Canadians (in French?) or Mexicans (in Spanish?)

If it is meant to be international, had you considered including a tag for the language used? (This would make machine translation much easier.)

Your geographical location codes (eg Element  	subdivision) use ISO 3166-2 designators. Would it be advisable to offer postcodes (zip codes) as an alternative? These are precise ways of locating addresses, and many people aremore likely to be able to specify them.

I also wonder if there are any ways in which US and non-US standards differ - eg units of measurement. I haven't had time to study your standard in detail, but are there elements where it might be worth specifying if units are US or metric, for example?