emergency-comment message

Subject: emergency-cap Feedback on the list of event terms from MET Norway

We would like to comment on the questions regarding the CAP Event Terms List asked by the OASIS CAP Subcommittee.

The response is based on our implementation of CAP in cooperation with the Norwegian Broadcasting Company and the Norwegian Water Resources and Energy Directorate, and on using CAP in our weather portal Yr.

1) Severity and certainty should be removed from the event term to make the list manageably short. The term “warning” is not an event, and should not be used in the event term.

2) We would prefer consolidation under a single term. We would also prefer the geographic domain to be a separate, optional part of the CAP message, as the consequences of events may vary strongly between different domains and within a predefined area. Suggested domains are Land, Marine, Coastal and Aviation. We also suggest to add “Polar low” and “Marine cold air outbreak” to the event list. “Marine cold air outbreak” has many similarities with “Lake effect snow”, and may cause strong wind, heavy snow showers, polar lows and/or marine icing.

3) MET Norway: We suggest that an event should only have one applicable CAP category. If both “broad term” and “narrow term” should be kept, the broad term should be defined by the CAP category alone.

Best regards,
Gjermund Haugen, Project manager and Deputy Head of Forecasting Departement of Northern Norway
Bård Fjukstad, Head of Forecasters
Solfrid Agersten, Head of Forecasting Departement in Oslo