emergency-gis message

Subject: Meeting: 13 May 2003

GIS SC Meeting Notes of 13 May 2003

The meeting was conducted via conference call. The Group discussed the
document "GML/XML schema for select GML geometry".

It was agreed that at this time GML was much more than would be required
for simple CAP messages. The GIS SC recommends refining what is presently
in the CAP schema. We will develop/refine the CAP data dictionary and
develop elements that are compatible with common practice in the GIS community.

Further: That we would require that geographic positions in the message
would be in WGS 84 (equivalent to EPSG codes 4326 (2 dimensions) in decimal
degrees (un-projected) "http://164.214.2.59/GandG/tr8350_2.html" The US DoD
and NATO have standardized using WGS 84 in exchanging geographic position
information to avoid miscommunication.

We would use local Mean Sea Level as the vertical datum with values in
feet. (Elevation in feet is the standard UOM for aeronautical navigation)

CAP users would convert to WGS 84 (if not already using it) to produce the
message and message recipients would convert to coordinate
system/projections as needed.