emergency-gis message

Subject: RE: [huml] Fwd: [geovrml] Re: GeoVRML/GeoSpatial happenings

Title: RE: [huml] Fwd: [geovrml] Re: GeoVRML/GeoSpatial happening
This and another message from Len, somehow did not get to me, or else were singletons in my inbox within a sequence of spam messages so that I inadvertently deleted them, but I try to watch out for that as best I can, since I gave up on filters and kill-lists as causing even worse problems. Sigh.

This is a specific difficulty that I hope some of the lurkers from DOJ, law enforcement and public safety on both the huml and EM TC lists note and comment upon. There were some specific quibbles with CAP on geocodes recently, though that was largely a matter of clearing up the system citations involved rather than the codes themselves, but the point remains that some work to unify and iron out the kinks between jurisdictions and systems needs doing.

Ciao,
Rex

Keep in mind that a standard does not an integrated
map system make.

A primary problem of the public safety industry is that
geographically coincident jurisdictions do not share
map maintenance, or even the same maps.   Two
dispatch systems feeding one police records system rely
on them doing precisely that.

For the humlers, this is the problem of semantically
overlapping cultures with polysemic terms that are
dynamically being added and deleted.  Maintenance is
a bear because new terms must be defined and old term
definitions drift.

len

From: Rex Brooks [mailto:rexb@starbourne.com]

Hi Folks,

For the Geospatially minded amongst us, and for those to whom X3D
and/or Xj3D remains a viable interest.

Ciao,
Rex

--