emergency-gis message

Subject: Re: [emergency-gis] Groups - Suggested changes for CAP 2.0 - CRSand GML (Best Practices for CRS - for OASIS.doc) uploaded

Carl -

With respect, I believe CAP is already recognized by the
international OASIS community as a truly international standard, and
that any suggestion to the contrary ought to be supported by evidence.

And while I have no objection to considering extensions to CAP, I
think they should be driven by specific stated requirements.  It
would help me if you could summarize what specific problems we need
to solve here.

In particular, what would be the practical benefit of supporting
multiple reference systems in addition to WGS-84?  Wouldn't it be
more efficient to have any coordinate conversions done
once-and-for-all by the originators than to have them duplicated,
perhaps thousands of times and potentially with differing outcomes,
by the various receivers?  And if we have the WGS-84 representations,
what's the value of duplicating that information?

Not opposed to enhancements per se, but I hope we can guard against
creeping featuritis by making sure any additions actually represent a
cost/benefit improvement for the implementers.  We've seen so many
good products become bloated by a series of well-intentioned WIBNI
("wouldn't it be nice if") feature-extensions...

- Art