emergency-gis message

Subject: RE: [emergency-gis] RE: Question about CAP

Thank you.  I have one more comment.

The CAP standard specifies <sent> as, "The time and date of the origination
of the alert message".  So it doesn't say that it must be the local time at
the place of origination of the message.  Hence my deduction that the offset
used in the expression of the time **need not** reflect the local time at
that particular place.  As I wrote earlier, I would prefer if the standard
had mandated the use of UTC.  At this point, though, I would not suggest
that we make a normative change in the next version of CAP, but would
suggest that we add a note clarifying that the expression of time in <sent>
does not convey any information related to the local time at the place of
origination.  What matters is the sum of the local time and the offset in
that element.  Perhaps we could add a "SHOULD" recommending the use of UTC.
I think we want to remove any chances of mistakes in implementations,
especially in a standard like this.

Alessandro