emergency-if message

Subject: RE: [emergency] Draft Reply To PPW Letter

Ok, I have been *trying* to follow this thread, but I think it keeps
going deeper and deeper into the trees, and we are missing the forest. I
know Rex and Kon seem to have finished their thread, but its pretty
obvious there is still some need for clarity. I think I understand the
concerns, the arguments, the situation, etc., so let me recommend a
couple of things to move things forward.

1. Rick: as part of the Requirements document, I would recommend we
include a definition of "transport". We have talked about this as a
group before, but that was before Kon joined. Basically, we need to
clarify that "transport" is not at the packet level - we have loosely
considered that the "communications" level (we should define
communication level as well). Transport is more like the USPS, where
they use boxes, envelopes, etc. - not the trains, planes, and
automobiles they use. Those are more of the communications level.

2. Broadcast Group: few of requests from you guys. First, all of these
ideas, thoughts, and comments should be tailored to be included in the
Requirements document. So, the best way to address your need is to list
out "how do I" questions that are generated when you look at how to use
CAP in your scenario.

Second, it would be helpful if you further educated us on your
"platform" (aka technical details of the medium you have to operate on).
I actually had some experience with the settop box/OS people a few years
ago (OpenTV, ReplayTV, Canal+, etc.. about 7 of them), so I understand
the low baud backchannel you mention and some of the other things.
However, it is my understanding that while the backchannel is slow,
which is where the small URI requests would be made (I worked for a
company that would serve ads to these machines), the download still
occurred on the high bandwidth channel. The issue we had then was more
around the fact that this backchannel was not connected all the time for
some of the boxes, although that seemed to be going away. Along those
same lines, if you are unable to make any request at all, then how are
you going to validate a CAP message against the schema - box, device, or
whatever it is on? If it is hardcoded locally, then that would imply you
would not be able to support future versions, which really puts you back
where you are now - might as well not have a standard. Anyway, I my
intension for mentioning these are not to start another thread, but to
stimulate some thought into what the group needs to better understand,
so providing us with some details on the broadcast "platform" will help
facilitate that in a positive and productive manner. With that, I will
ask that you do not reply to these comments directly, but rather use
them as a guide to help us better understand the broadcast use case.

Finally, I would recommend you guys read up on XML Schema and maybe even
Namespaces in XML. One of the things I *think* I am reading between the
lines is that it is your understanding that if CAP does not have inline
binaries, that it is not possible to send them in the same XML document
- which is not true. It is completely possible to do this, even today,
using various features/functions of XML Schema and/or Namespaces in XML.
The issue around it, as you would quickly determine, is how to do that
in a way that is standard across implementations. Ahhh, and we quickly
arrive at the current task before the IF SC today. How to standardize on
sending CAP messages from A to B, and possibly through C in the process.
The topic of transport (remember how we define it, not how you were
using it). And believe me, it will step into more than just the
technical details of "how" to do it. There is a WHOLE world of how to
"facilitate" this exchange, because as Kon pointed out in one of his
examples, things such as dependencies on the image must be addressed.
The "don't send this alert unless you know the image can go and be
rendered", which of course means we now have to figure out a way to
"know". This topic is going to be a lot bigger than I think some of you
are thinking.

Hope this helps - Allen