emergency-if message

Subject: RE: [emergency-if] Guaranteed Delivery of messages

Hans,

The ebMS work pioneered this with SOAP well before WS-Reliability was conceived.

Interestingly the code for building this functionality around your messaging service is available as open source - from H2O project.

Further more - the H2O implementation is built around an open SOAP framework and web service calls - so - this means you can implement an EDXL-DE adaptor for H2O - since H2O itself is implemented this way for both AS/2 and ebMS today.

Leveraging all that code would make the writing of the EDXL-DE with reliable delivery a minimal effort - because all the functionality you desire is already built-in to H2O.

Adding that EDXL-DE adaptor would also give big impetus to adoption worldwide since H2O has an existing large global community.

 http://community.cecid.hku.hk/index.php/product/download/download_h2o/

BTW - H2O also supports email delivery methods - which could have interesting possibilities for certain EDXL-DE applications.

Thanks, DW

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [emergency-if] Guaranteed Delivery of messages
From: "Hans Jespersen" <Hans.Jespersen@SolaceSystems.com>
Date: Tue, June 29, 2010 11:52 pm
To: <emergency-if@lists.oasis-open.org>

At the F2F meeting today we spoke about how to guarantee the delivery of EDXL-DE messages end to end between two or more senders and receivers, and in a way that is independent of transport protocol. This is more than just hop by hop or single transport guaranteed messaging which is what we implement today in several implementations.

OASIS has a lot of past history in the design of these kind protocols. OASIS created the WS-Reliability standard and later the WS-ReliableMessaging standard both of which are designed to accomplish exactly this task. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WS-Reliability and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WS-ReliableMessaging for more background on these efforts. I have also included the WSRM spec for review so everyone can see that this is a similar use case to the one we are considering for the Reply-To element and ACK  distributionType.

I believe that at a minimum we would have to implement most of the XML elements that the OASIS WS-ReliableMessaging standard uses to accomplish this similar task. That means adding Sequence numbers, Message ID Numbers, Transport independent Addresses, Retransmission flags, Possible Duplicate Flags, Negative ACK messages, etc.

It took OASIS over 3 years to create these simpler protocols and they had participation from many of the vendors in the Message Oriented Middleware community (IBM, Microsoft, Oracle, BEA, Sun, TIBCO, Sonic, WebMethods, etc.). My recommendation is that we consider this functionality out of scope for EDXL-DE and recommend the use of OASIS WS-ReliableMessaging, or any one of the many other non-SOAP standards and products that implement guaranteed messaging at the transport level (i.e. Java Messaging Service, Distributed database Transactions, …). The use of guaranteed messaging protocols at the transport level will still allow for an audit trail and non-repudiation of receipt of EDXL-DE messages so the use case for this feature is still satisfied in an implementation specific manner.

-hans

--
Hans Jespersen
Principal Systems Engineer