Subject: CAP dictionary issues (was Re: [emergency-msg] SC meetingreminder)

Jerry -

Thanks for shining a light on a few of the key issues here.  We won't
have time to do all your points justice on tomorrow's call, backed up
as we'll be against the TC call.  So let me me offer a few top-level
notes below and then we can drill into some or all of these issues
further in email discussions and future conference calls.

Hope you don't mind, but I'm sharing this with the rest of the SC
list, so everyone can participate in the discussion and (very
important) so it gets into the SC record.

Also... I may be setting a bad precedent here.  The kind of
point-by-point dialog on multiple issues that appears below is handy
for one-to-one but can get unwieldy and confusing in group
discussions.  So if anyone wants to pursue any of these issues, maybe
it would be wise to address each one in a separate email so folks can
follow the threads they care about more easily.

That said, here goes...

At 6:17 PM -0500 6/2/03, Weltman, Jerry wrote:
>Cap:event_cat: What is the purpose of this element? Is it to indicate which
>organizations would be responsible for handling the alert?

It's chiefly to allow receiving systems to determine whether its a
message to which that device should respond, and secondarily to
inform message routing systems.  And to provide a categorization for
later indexing too, I suppose.  Basically for any automated process
that cares about hazard type but isn't brainy enough to interpret the
free-text description in <event_desc/>.

The current list is definitely up for discussion... I've been told
there's a standard list of 23 or so hazard types out there
somewhere... maybe someone can provide a pointer?

One difficulty is that it's easy unconsciously to slip-slide between
a typology of causes and one of effects.  The current list tries to
keep the focus on which systems are affected, since the underlying
causes are frequently uncertain until long after the alerting
timeframe.  But obviously it fails to reach that goal at several
points.

Allowing multiple instances of this element sounds like it might make sense.

>Cap:info_url: It seems too limiting to have only three types of URLs (HTML,
>image, and audio). I would like to consider allowing multiple instances of
>arbitrary types.

The problem with arbitrary types, of course, is that it's hard to
build applications to process binaries without some advance notion of
what they might be.  If there are other types we envision wanting to
support, we should probably add them explicitly now so implementers
can take advantage of them.

A related question is whether to use links or to take some other
approach like SOAP-with-Attachments that would keep the binary
packaged with the CAP message.  The Working Group opted for links to
keep the messages lightweight and to avoid making a SOAP
implementation mandatory, but we can change that if it seems wiser.

>Cap:severity: I like the idea of a standard set of severity levels, but one
>problem is that different agencies will need to have more information on how
>the severity level applies to the specific event. For example, the CSEPP
>community has three levels of severities for a chemical release: AEGL-1,
>AEGL-2, and AEGL-3. It would great if the CAP could have a place where "No
>Effects" could be mapped to "AEGL-1", "AEGL-2" to "Moderate", etc.
>Specifically, the Cap:severity element could have a sub element that maps
>the standard category to the specific event severity.

I'm doubtful that any one scheme that will map conveniently to all
existing priority scales.  E.g, how does one map AEGL-1,2,3 to
Watch/Warning or Green/Blue/Yellow/Orange/Red?  Not only don't they
align very well, they aren't even talking about the same things,
really.

Part of the problem is precisely that most existing schemes conflate
the three dimensions of Urgency, Severity and Certainty into a single
vector, with the relative weight given each of the three components
varying widely (and frequently being inconsistent even within a
single scheme).

There's also an important distinction between the severity of the
event and that of its effects.  An earthquake, for example, has an
absolute magnitude (measured on the Richter scale) but its effects
will vary from location to location (thus the modified Mercalli
scale.)  Likewise a Category Three hurricane may be catastrophic at
one location but merely inconvenient eighty miles away.  What we're
describing in the <info/> block is the severity of effects... and we
can use multiple <info/> blocks to represent the different impacts on
different areas.

Of course the <parameter/> element can be used to insert any type of
system-specific coding, but relying on that could undermine our goal
of interoperability.  More frequently, I imagine, system-specific
conversion tables (or algorithms) will be devised to map between
"native" schemes and the U/S/C model.  Ultimately, perhaps, once CAP
wins broad acceptance its nomenclature might be adopted as the
default.  But that'll take a long, long time if it ever happens at
all.

>Info Block Mandatory Elements: For jurisdictions that need to provide
>alerting to hundreds of emergency planning zones and/or thousands of
>individual facilities, there could be thousands of Info blocks.

Depends on whether those thousands of zones are getting different
information or not.  A single <info/> block can contain multiple
<area/> blocks, so all the zones that got essentially the same
message could be handled in a single <info/> structure.

In most cases there are only a few distinct information sets
issued... rarely if ever will both the source information and the
decision-making process be so granular as to provide thousands of
different versions.  (But, if it were necessary, the current
structure could do that, at least in theory... it would be ugly and
inefficient, but possible.)

As for how the area(s) would be described... how do such schemes
represent such large and complex areas now?  Whatever they do now
could be inserted in the <area_code/> element, of course... but with
an obvious and somewhat self-defeating sacrifice of interoperability.

The better answer, I think, would be to convert the aggregation of
those local zones into the more portable CAP geospatial form at the
sending point... in order to achieve interoperability with systems
that might not know all the details of every local zoning scheme.

>One problem is that the Info blocks have mandatory elements
>(cap:category, cap:urgency, cap:certainty, cap:severity) that do not
>provide the information that
>individual facilities need. Ideally, these elements could be made optional.

What information is it that won't fit into the current structure?  As
you understand, we aren't trying to invent a universal message type
here, but rather one specifically for alerting.  And we have the
<parameter/> element as our catch-all.  But if there's something
germane to the alerting function that we don't provide now, maybe we
need to add it.

- Art