Subject: Re: [emergency-msg] EM TC Notifications, Methods and Messaging 09-16-03 Meeting Minutes

At 12:35 PM -0400 9/20/03, R. Allen Wyke wrote:
>If they can't resolve a URI, how do they plan on validating the message
>against a schema?

Just speculating... but I imagine they could validate against a local
cached schema... or even use a non-validating parser and handle any
resulting data errors downstream in the application.  We aren't
always talking about what we normally think of as "computers" here...
many CAP consumers will be embedded "thin" devices.

Anyway, any consumer on a one-way link will have a problem with
retrieving updates.  My understanding is that that's precisely why
the warning-systems industry is interested in a standard... because
once they start deploying firmware in commercial quantities it won't
be feasible for them to chase a moving-target schema.

Certainly we're addressing a broader user community here than in some
other OASIS projects.  Still, supporting use of CAP over one-way
channels has been one of our explicit requirements since the
beginning.  What I'm hearing here is feedback from users who care
about that particular use case and aren't persuaded that we've met
that requirement.

- Art