Subject: Re: [emergency-msg] Backward compatibility

On Sat, 2003-09-20 at 16:40, Art Botterell wrote:
> At 4:20 PM -0400 9/20/03, R. Allen Wyke wrote:
> >Hmmmm, that certainly stimulates an interesting concept - addressing
> >people who *may* only want/can support just one version of the standard.
> >That they can't create a system that is upgradable.
>
> Looking at it the other way... when there's a new version, will we be
> able to assume that every implementation will upgrade precisely at
> once?  Probably not... so some provision for backward compatibility
> will be needed anyway.

Oh, absolutely. I *think* even the XML Recommendation states that new
versions of XML-based languages should make all attempts to be backward
compatible. The unspoken rule here is that if you can't, then you didn't
architect it right the first time - that you tried to put too much in
there, or tried to rush something.

> Regrettably, it's going to be awhile before the whole world runs on
> web services.

Web Services? I'm sorry, I am not sure how this applies to this
discussion (validation of schemas)?