Subject: Meeting Minutes 7-06-04

Title: Meeting Minutes 7-06-04
Hi Folks,

Here's the minutes for last week's meeting. It's a bit of an improvement, since this is before the EM TC meeting, even if only an hour and half.

I had one small problem with my notes. I wrote down that we need a more specific target with regard to Identity Issue and then I jumped to a note that EPAD was closing in on the problems. Those two notes are related but I don't recall the specific connection, and so I left it out of the minutes. So if someone can refresh my memory, I will be happy to amend the minutes to reflect that.

Here's what I have:

EM-Msg SC Meeting Minutes 7-06-04

The meeting convened at 12:00 p.m. EST.

Roll:
Art Botterell
Rex Brooks
Gary Ham
Tom Merkle
Kon Wilms

No specific agenda was posted, Largely, we discussed update reports and topics related to either the CAP Developer List or the Next Workproduct ideas and concepts.

Old Business:

1. Art reported that the meeting of the PPW Conference essentially decided that, while out of funds, PPW had decided to stay in business at least to the extent that the USA effort would continue. Everything else was frozen, or freeze-dried in place.

2. As part of the USA process Art mentioned that there was an initiative underway to collaborate with Murdoch University in Western Australia in partnership with the Western Australia Emergency Management Authority, and that was a positive development.

3. Rex noted that DHS had awarded a $175 M account Grumman Northrup for the development and deployment of IT management and collaboration tools. Tom and Gary then mentioned that the existing DHS system, such as it is, uses Groove Networks tools, http://www.groove.net/home

4. Gary noted that DMIS appears to be in good shape moving forward in the sense of being funded for the foreseeable future. Gary also reviewed the Disaster Management upper management cross-agency meeting reported in the last minutes, since Art was attending the PPW Conference during our previous meeting. (See previous meeting minutes)

5. Tom said that he expected the revived Infrastructure Subcommittee to be stood up after the next TC meeting.

6. The main topic from the Disaster Management meeting that Gary reviewed became the focus for discussion. In short, DHS and the EM community overall needs a single standard, similar to CAP that cuts across transport and media protocols for a message header or wrapper TYPE component that identifies a valid and prioritized EM message--a heads-up notice.

   6a. This led to a discussion centered around what is needed to establish identity and authenticate and authorize an entity for inclusion in the trusted network needed. This in turn, led to questions of whether an ICS-type of system to recognize an authorized command and control chain versus some more open kind of entry point is needed and whether or not this ought to be standardized for a global applicability or if it needs to stay within a NIMS environment.

  6b. This discussion prompted Gary to note that the Disaster Management meeting was more data-centered than process-centered. This raised the observation that they are in a requirements gathering phase after which they have considered or are considering forwarding that issue to our TC.

7. A question was raised as to whether this should be addressed in the Infrastructure or Messaging Subcommittees or at the TC level. We decided to put this before the TC for a decision.

7. Art noted that this question has many similarities to CAP so it would be useful to draw up a list of deltas from what CAP addresses, as a starting point.

9. We asked Gary to synopsize the question and our thoughts about it for the TC with the overall endpoint to be that asking for specific instruction with regard to the Identity question from Disaster Management upper management as our contribution to their requirements-gathering process. The notion is that we will then deal with what comes back from that process.

There was no specific New Business since our discussions ran long.

The meeting adjourned at 12:40 p.m. EST.
W3Address: http://www.starbourne.com
Email: rexb@starbourne.com
Tel: 510-849-2309
Fax: By Request