Subject: New OASIS IPR Policy Review

Title: New OASIS IPR Policy Review
Hi Folks,

Art mentioned a couple of weeks ago that OASIS mgt. is trying to roll out a new IPR Policy which will require us as TC's to make a determination of the type of policy under which any and/or all of our specifications will be offered . Karl subsequently sent a message to the chairs list asking the chairs to pass along the views and decisions of their TC. I was not prepared last week to do this, and you all would not have had enough time to read, absorb and put it into perspective, and neither would I since I have not read it for myself yet, though I have read the comments of various chairs about it. Beyond that, this is Allen's perogative for the TC. However, since I couldn't find the message for the minutes minutes of this SC, I am passing it along now.This is still review period.

Here's the url info:

On 9 July OASIS announced to its membership a draft IPR Policy that has been developed by our Board, and requested that members review and provide comment on this draft. (See http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/members/200407/msg00002.html)

There are three documents associated with this member review:
* The document containing the draft revised OASIS IPR Policy is found at
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/members-only/download.php/7515/
IPR%20Policy-%20Mem%85ne%2025%2C%202004.pdf
* The Transition Policy defining how members and TCs will transition to the
new IPR Policy is found at
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/members-only/download.php/7514/
IPR%20Transition%20%85%202004%2006%2025.pdf
* A Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) document explaining the new IPR Policy,
the reasoning behind it, and the Transition Policy, is found at
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/members-only/download.php/7554/
IPR%20Policy%20FAQ.pdf

Ciao,
W3Address: http://www.starbourne.com