Subject: EDXL standards concerns - Jon Skeels

All,

The purpose of this memo is to capture for the record dialog initiated by Jon Skeels to Tim Grapes on 11/28/2006.  The dialog was initiated by Jon in reference to the in-progress draft standard being worked in the Standards Working Group, but then focused on EDXL standards in general.  Below is a record of feedback received by Jon.  I have been working to schedule a meeting to hear the specifics of Jon’s concerns.  I was again able to reach Jon by phone the morning of 12/6/06.  Jon asked for time to coordinate with his technical team to provide detailed feedback.  Jon agreed that next steps are in his court to contact me when he is ready to schedule a conference call to discuss further.  The contents of this message will also be included in the meeting minutes of the OASIS Messaging and Notifications sub-committee, since that group did attempt to schedule the discussion with Jon while the group is together working on RM this week.

-----------------

Following the messages and voicemail below, some phone tag was played.  The following is from a voice message from Jon to me on 12/1/06:

“Fact is it goes back to a lot of my comments I made all along - you guys have separated incident heading data from the request data and it’s a huge problem – it just isn’t going to work.  And it isn’t working in the ICS world either.  Exactly what I was saying has come to pass… Fact is we implemented it (EDXL standards) where we could but the standard ICS resource system that performs ordering, system status, incidents, requests, fulfillment, etc. all need to be included in the same set of standards.  I know there was a lot of discussion but you guys decided not to do this, and it’s just not going to work…”

--------------------

Jon Skeels Message 11/29/06 in response to Tim Grapes providing minutes and other documents from the SWG process (which initiated this dialog):

Tim:  Thanks for the information.  I will review.  In regards to the
web-services we are implementing and there alliance with EDXL, I believe we
have tried to follow the standard, but have found in many cases that the
standard won't work (in fact may have hindered us).  Our goal was to follow
the standard.  I will get with our contractors and get an assessment and
advise you of our issues.

Jon

------------------

Thanks,

Tim Grapes
Evolution Technologies, Inc.
Department of Homeland Security
Science and Technology, C4ISR
Office for Interoperability and Compatibility
Disaster Management egov Initiative
Office:  (703) 654-6075
Mobile:  (703) 304-4829
tgrapes@evotecinc.com