Subject: Meeting Today

Hi Folks,

I wanted to remind you that we have a meting scheduled today,
immediately following the TC meeting on the same number. The only
things we have on our agenda are updates concerning implementations
of EDXL-RM and any new business.

I have one thing in the realm of new business, which is to start
thinking about and discussing the possibility of a EDXL-Medical
Resource Messaging spec. I want to stress that this is purely
speculative at this point. There is a lot wheel-spinning going on
right now with the big feeders are jockeying around the federal feed
trough as if the $ being let out now by HHS are really setting the
stage for the next administration.

So I would classify what is going on now as a misplaced feeding
frenzy, especially because HHS's recently released Strategic HIT Plan
for 2008-2010 does not even mention the National Medical Disaster
System (NMDS) which S. 3678 of 12/06 moved to HHS from DHS. The $1B
being distributed by HHS nationwide now, while touted as supporting
HIT is not, as far as I know, restricted to being used solely for
HIT, so I suspect it is actually just general support which will keep
a lot of hospital systems, which are perpetually locked in cash flow
difficulties, afloat.

Regardless, I don't see much happening in relation to connecting
healthcare to emergency management until next year at the soonest, in
terms of establishing the kind of studies that have marked the
Nationwide Health Information Network (NHIN) in the last four years,
and I would certainly hope that someone has the common sense to study
the problem before launching any new programs. That also makes it
premature for us to initiate anything, so I'm just suggesting that we
keep an eye on the situation.