Subject: Important Change: InformationResource-See General-Requirements-01jpg

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to draw your attention to the jpeg file I uploaded after
today's meeting.

It's important because we had confusion between resources which are
physical resources, such as those covered in EDXL-RM, and information
resources, of which an EDXL-RM message itself could be an example. So
the former Resource package has been changed to InformationResource in
the General-Requirements-01.jpg .

The conversation leading up to that suggests a clarification would be
wise. The idea of grouping the Requirements by categories suggested by
name and subject or definition rather than by pre-existing structures is
just a way to get us to think about the requirements on their own
merits. Leaving them in one package might  have have served just as well.

The idea now is to match the individual requirements to the elements in
the Element Reference Model (ERM) from the Requirements document to see
how well the ERM fits the requirements. If this process wasn't as
difficult as it is on its own, I'd really like to match requirements to
the use cases and retroactively build the use-cases as formal UML
constructs, but I will do that on my own for my own satisfaction if I
can find the time. Eventually, I would recommend that our processes work
that way, so that we would have clear accountability from use-cases
through specification-writing to implementations. We're very close to
having that now with the "Used in" sections of the Data Dicitionaries of
EDXL specifications.

In addition, there are several important questions that I want to ask,
but I don't want to ask those questions now because I think it would
prejudice the process. Of course, there's an exception. There is one
question that I share now because iMO we need to be thinking about it as
we conduct this process: At the end of this stage we need to ask if
there are any requirements that we think are missing. For my $.02 whole
idea with requirements is to let the requirements govern the process.