Subject: IEEE 1512 information

Following up on my action item regarding IEEE 1512

There is a very good, and recent, fact sheet on IEEE 1512 on the DoT
website (http://www.standards.its.dot.gov/fact_sheet.asp?f=12 )

It states that "Each message is defined in Abstract Syntax Notation One
(ASN.1) and in eXtensible Markup Language (XML)"

I have read through the Guide for Implementing IEEE 1512 and verified
that XML is a supported message format

You can download the IEEE 1512.1 XML schema files and related
documentation from the IEEE web site at
http://standards.ieee.org/downloads/1512/1512.1-2006/ . The Manifest
file says "These documents may be freely copied and used in your local
documentation process as required." So I believe these are freely
distributable even though the standard documents in PDF form have a cost
associated with them.

I also found a case study for the Houston Regional Information Sharing
project in which IEEE 1512 XML was used. It would be good to hear their
experiences using the specification.
(http://www.fema.gov/pdf/emergency/nims/Houston_TranStar_IEEE_1512.pdf )

-hans