Subject: RE: [emergency-msg] Groups - EDXL-SitRep Data Dictionary V3.1 (EDXL-SitRep-Data-Dictionary_OASIS-DraftV3.1_09-03-2010.doc) uploaded

I’m not sure whether that’s an inconsistency or deliberate.  In EDXL to date it’s been a deliberate decision.  In context of emergencies and disasters, all payloads need a routing header of some kind.  When discussing payload requirements, the  practitioners consistently discuss information that is fundamentally related to the routing of the payload, such as DateTimeSent.  Any payload can be  stripped and used on their own after routing.

I’m not sure I see an example in EDXL where that’s inconsistent since direction set following CAP (integrated connection to content).  Discussions are moving forward where CAP may continue independent routing as well as/or encapsulated in the DE.  The deliberate decision after  CAP 1.0  and direction forward was 1- Every payload needs some sort of routing header, 2- The DE was designed to be that common routing header in the Emergency/disaster space, 3- It didn’t make sense to build routing capabilities into every payload, and 4- Don’t  duplicate a concept in the payload if it functionally fits in the ( or in “a”) routing header.   It’s also been recognized that DE is not a  “one size  fits all”.  It fits a specific need, where Lex/Ulex and (forget the other one) meet other more secure known system to system needs.

Now, that direction can be changed if the TC sees fit, and desires these  payloads to stand-alone regardless of the routing header/mechanism used, and assuming that other routing headers  do not address example requirements like this one.

But the only murky area for me till now has been around  the additional general  spec  statement that “other” routing headers may be used IF they conform to the minimum requirements of that particular payload for routing.

Thanks,

Tim Grapes

Evotec

703-304-4829

"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." - Theodore Rubin