Subject: Groups - DRAFT-EDXL-RIM-SC-MtgNotes-10-06-2011.doc uploaded

Submitter's message
Please review these October 6th, 2011 minutes of the Reference Information Model subcommittee for approval at our next meeting, subject to any specified changes. Thanks.
-- Jeff Waters
Document Name: DRAFT-EDXL-RIM-SC-MtgNotes-10-06-2011.doc

Description
At the October 6th, 2011 meeting of the Emergency Management Reference
Information Model subcommittee, the members discussed the following
topics:

1. TOPIC: What formats should we support for representing our EDXL
Reference Model? (Answer: The EDXL Reference Model should be represented in
a few different formats for supporting users with different backgrounds and
use cases. Recommended formats include Text, UML, and Web Ontology
Language. )

2. TOPIC: How should we proceed to develop guidelines for how to write
profiles of EDXL standards? (Answer: The RIM has been tasked by the EM TC
with developing profile guidance to help those who wish to tailor an EDXL
standard to their needs but desire to do so in a manner which is EDXL and
OASIS compliant. As an important first step, Lew will submit an initial
draft of guidelines, genericized from the GML document that describes how
to do profiles of GML. Three of the guidelines should address (a)
parsimony, i.e. ensuring that the profile only includes what's needed for
the purpose; (b) conforming subset, i.e. that the profile generates XML
that conforms with the original specification profiled; (c ) guidance on
extension, i.e. that profile developers understand what they can or can't
do if they feel the need to add or change something.)

3. TOPIC: Can we develop some guidance for how to convert a specific EDXL
XML Schema into an ontology? (Answer: Yes. Jeff will do an initial draft of
some guidance. The Web Ontology Language (OWL) is one representation format
for our reference model which supports consistency checking and basic
reasoning. Guidance will assist those on the RIM who are representing EDXL
standards in this format. )

4. TOPIC: Should we extend representation onto the ISO TC 223 committee
responsible for societal security? (Answer: Yes. Some ISO members may be
unsure of the benefits of the XML representation format. Participation
would help to ensure interoperability and synergy between the ISO and EDXL
work.)

5. TOPIC: Is there a common place to find and post extensions to code
lists? (Answer: Not yet, but work is underway. This is a real business
problem when people need to create a new term, e.g. ?lockdown? of a school,
but they don't know where to find a list and no way to post an extension.
Rex has developed an ontology representation of the Tactical Situation
Object codes and extending this and making this accessible is an ongoing
initiative.)
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Jeff Waters
Group: EM Reference Information Model SC
Folder: Meeting Notes
Date submitted: 2011-10-06 11:41:44