Subject: [emergency] GIS Standards (was EM TC 3/11/03 Meeting Minutes)

At 08:19 PM 3/13/2003 -0500, Allen Wyke wrote:
>[...]
><snip>
>* GIS?  - there are already standards.  How applicable is it?  Should we
>provide a layer on top of standard?
>* Art - nothing that is for GIS data per se as a methodology for
>managing and interpreting the data.  Everything will touch the GIS
>space.  Is this OCG's space?
>* Bill - How does OCG fit in?
>* Gary - the point reference in any geospatial space system is latitude
>and longitude
>* Art - only provide a point of reference information
>* Allen - Is infrastructure in place or up to implementer?  Should there
>be a subgroup?  Needs to be hashed out to see if it fits
>* Art - may be a horizontal function - geospatial advisory and liaison
>to OCG.  Ask for review of spatial elements from other subcommittees or
>do we need a subcommittee?
>* Bill - GIS data folks trying to integrate.  Prevalent in all local
>communities in terms of interoperability.  What is it that an EM Group
>believes need to interoperate with common reference model?  Points and
>shapes?  COTS and client functions use maps.  Maybe a definition is
>required
>* Rick - supports this notion
>* Rex - Probably rises to the level of needed a subcommittee.  Better to
>have them coordinated
>* Bill - think of interfaces rather than shapes and models.
>* All agreed.  Put a group aside to look at GIS and continue a GIS
>discussion at our face-to-face meeting
></snip>

I would like to be involved with this work on GIS issues and I would be
pleased to lead such a subgroup within the scope of the EM TC.

>Nailing this down is big for the TC. Would like to see one of the GIS
>experts step up and start an active dialog in this area, so consider
>this the prodding :)

The point about "interfaces" is very relevant as the GIS community
has long advocated a "services-orieneted architecture" based on
international standards. International standards supporting discovery
of and access to geospatial data and services are agreed upon through
the various Spatial Data Infrastructure initiatives. These include
ISO 23950 for the "catalog service" interface. Among the geospatial
interfaces developed and prototyped by the OpenGIS Consortium are a
"Web Mapping Service" that specifies how to use HTTP GET to obtain
rendered maps (e.g., GIF and JPG images) with specific layers at
particular places.

In an Emergency Management context, my sense is that the ISO 23950
catalog service and the OGC Web Mapping Service are the most critical
services to advocate for immediate and widespread deployment.

>Also, references to OCG should actually be OGC (www.opengis.org)

Another reference is the "Clearinghouse" of the National Spatial Data
Infrastructure (NSDI)  http://www.fgdc.gov/clearinghouse/clearinghouse.html.
Although coordinated by a Federal interagency group, the NSDI includes
participants at all levels of government and other sectors as well.
Vendor-led initiatives such as ESRI's Geography Net are also
interoperable with NSDI through support of the standard services.

Eliot Christian echristian@usgs.gov 703-648-7245 FAX 703-648-7112
US Geological Survey, 802 National Center, Reston VA 20192