Subject: RE: [emergency] Re: GCN Daily Updates Story: Uncle Sam issues data-sharingstandards for medical info

This is a set of coding and clinical 'standards' that DOD, VA and other
govt folks will use.  There are separate standards activities for public
health [which is not the above] and for the national health information
standards under HIPAA.  The NCVHS [national committee on vital health
statistics] is the pathway for these standards.  Data exchanges for
administrative types of messaging have been established and clinical
ones are on the board as well.  One area the TC might investigate would
be those health information items that are critical for
effective/efficient EM activities...clearly a subset of all the above.

John

-----Original Message-----
From: R. Allen Wyke [mailto:emtc@nc.rr.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 3:24 PM
To: stephen.jepsen@oracle.com
Cc: emergency@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [emergency] Re: GCN Daily Updates Story: Uncle Sam issues
data-sharingstandards for medical info

Steve, this is a good find!

Group: one of the things we discussed as we were finalizing the initial
Requirements document was areas around public health. From the looks of
this article, an electronic infrastructure/set of standards has already
been identified and/or started to be created. With this in place, our
role to provide additional incident and emergency related aspects should
now be more focused, which is a good thing.

Rick: from an infrastructure framework perspective, this is another area
we should look into. Other than providing an hardware-to-software
interface, this looks to be missing.

Art: you might want to look at the "messaging" standard referenced
(Health Level 7).

Any additional thoughts certainly appreciated - Allen

courtesy of GCN Daily Updates (http://www.gcn.com).

http://www.gcn.com/vol1_no1/daily-updates/21493-1.html

> Uncle Sam issues data-sharing standards for medical info
>
> 03/25/03
> By Vanessa Jo Roberts, GCN Staff
>
> The government has issued governmentwide standards for coding and
sharing medical records.

> The standards, released last week and mandatory for all federal
agencies, are the work of the Defense, Health and Human Services, and
Veterans Affairs departments.

> The three departments developed the data specifications under the
rubric of the Consolidated Health Informatics initiative, one of the 25
Quicksilver e-government projects.

> Currently, federal agencies that provide health care services use many
different coding systems, making it difficult to maintain and share
up-to-date information, the teams officials said.

> The coding standards are the first of a series of standards that will
make up a National Health Information Infrastructure envisioned by the
Office of Management and Budgets e-government team.

> Benefits from using common health care standards include improved
patient safety and a reduction in the cost of health care, Dr. William
Winkenwerder, assistant secretary of Defense for health affairs, said in
a statement.

> Ultimately, the goal is to promote use of the standards across the
health care industry, not just within the government.

> Its important for the federal government to lead by example by
selecting and adopting these standards, HHS secretary Tommy G. Thompson
said. But, he added, to assure appropriate privacy protections for
personal health information, it will fall to the private sector to make
use of the standards widespread.

> The Consolidated Health Informatics team cobbled the new standards
together from formats now in use.

> The initiative will require agencies to adopt five standards:
>
> For messaging, the Health Level 7 standard to share patient
information, such as entries of orders, scheduling of appointments and
tests, and coordination of admittance, discharge and transfer records
during in-patient care

> For ordering drugs from pharmacies, standards created by the National
Council on Prescription Drug Programs

> For systems integration, IEEE 1073 series to plug medical devices into
information and computer systems so health care providers can monitor
information and support telemedicine services

> For diagnostic data retrieval, the Digital Imaging Communications in
Medicine standards, to capture information from manufacturers devices
and medical staff systems

> For laboratory records, the Logical Observation Identifier Name Codes
to support the exchange of clinical lab results.

> For now, there is no deadline for agencies to adopt the standards.
Instead, agencies will be expected to convert to them as they upgrade
medical and health care systems for inclusion in OMB's planned National

--
R. Allen Wyke
Chair, Emergency Management TC