Subject: RE: [emergency] Naming Conventions

Title: RE: [emergency] Naming Conventions
Public safety is about:

a.  Command and control of assets over real time incidents.

b.  Reporting systems that span both incidents and
investigation and disposition of incidents (calls for service - CFS).

c.  Use of data gathered to manage asset allocation
such that incidents that can be avoided are (pre-CFS) and those
that cannot are managed (post-CFS).

that is,  command and control, reporting, and analysis.

Note further, that although it appears to be "impossible" to take
a vocabulary approach, though tedious, in some ways this is
the best approach.

1.  No standard is final.  Vocabularies drift, yes, but this is
often a problem for the standard's lifecycle, not the actual
application.  One never is writing "for the ages" ever.  It
feels good to think that, but it is not realistic.

2.  Standard vocabularies are easy to implement.  The vast
majority of us doing public safety business use relational
technology for records management.   Despite any innovations
to the contrary, I've yet to process a single RFP in the last
six years that requested an object-oriented database.  Public
safety is not an early adopter industry; it shuns exotic and
emerging technologies for good reasons.

Implementing a vocabulary is quite easy for relational systems because we
map to the names and that is about it.  It is often just an issue
of adding columns to existing tables.  That is why I am
glad the JusticeXML is loose at the stricter levels of the
data definition.   Even real network interfaces come down
to basic APIs, data formats, names and mostly strings.
After that, orchestration/choreography but that is the
protocol, not the data.

3.  Even if it appears that there are large differences
in local and state agencies, in practice, these are not
significant as long as UCR/NIBRS/NCIC specifications
for state to Federal reporting are honored.   Yes, there
are local agency implementation issues, but that is
covered in implementation costs.  Public safety systems
are not yet commodities, nor are they completely
custom systems.  Otherwise, they would not be simply
expensive, they would be unaffordable.

So beware of creating a very abstract standard.  Those
don't often get implemented well or interoperably at
the level where interoperation has any real meaning
or benefit.  Standards writers should be wary of the
danger of spec'ing systems instead of standards. It
can be deuce difficult to see the difference particularly
where the authors are also implementors.  On the
other extreme, one shouldn't spec a system to
which no standard can be applied.   Finding the
middle ground that suits the time and technology
of the time is the trick.

len