Subject: RE: [emergency] Agenda: 6/17 Call

I thought I would update this with a note that in our meeting today I
indicated that I thought the time would be right to pursue a more
formalized liaison effort in the fall. I will organize myself in that
fashion. In our meeting tomorrow, I will also inform the HumanML TC
that I will be doing this in the fall. In the summer I will be
working on Web Services and the Human Physical Characteristics
Description Subcommittee of the HumanML TC, preparatory to more
formal liaison work in the fall.

Len's advice is exactly the kind of liaison considerations I have in
mind for the intersection of HumanML with GIS-based EM work.

Ciao,
Rex

At 12:07 PM -0500 6/17/03, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
>Think of HumanML categories as a means to filter and aggregate useful
>information from different data sources into a fused view of the cultures
>that inhabit a region.
>
>Given HumanML is at this time, largely a set of categories of information,
>and Human Physical Descriptions will be a small subset, when looking into
>cultural mapping over geospatial areas, the question will be how to get
>and apply the data.  Consider an interface that takes census data and
>filters it into the HumanML framework as a means of populating a
>near-current description.  Note that near-currency will likely be
>useful in that it enables a quick asset allocation based on likely
>scenarios, for example, what languages are dominant (and therefore,
>are translators needed), are there dietary restrictions, are there
>religious beliefs that will constrain interactions, are there holidays
>that might change the distribution of the population during the event,
>and so forth.  Note that public safety agencies typically have a scenario
>based disaster response plan.   The HumanML/GeoVRML:X3D sources could
>be used to prepare these particularly in cases where scenarios may
>have to be created or modified in near real time.  These same databases
>may also benefit police systems that are required (see COPS MORE) to
>implement early interdiction strategies (pre Call For Service actions
>designed to interdict probable incidents).
>
>Note that your utility systems also contain substantial amounts of
>useful information, but policy for access will vary; whereas, census
>data is likely to be public information.
>
>len
>

>From: emtc@nc.rr.com [mailto:emtc@nc.rr.com]
>
>2. Rex: you have done some excellent work cross-linking several standards
>efforts. Would it be possible (sorry for the late notice), for you to
>summarize your thoughts to the group in today's call? Just so we are all on
>the same page? Also, I would like to propose that you set up a formal
>liaison SC within the group to help us manage these communications. It is
>something we have talked about before, but you clearly have a better grasp
>of the other efforts out there through your own participation
>(http://www.oasis-open.org/archives/emergency/200306/msg00005.html)
>
>You may leave a Technical Committee at any time by visiting
>http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/emergency/members/leave_workgroup.php

W3Address: http://www.starbourne.com
Email: rexb@starbourne.com
Tel: 510-849-2309