Subject: RE: [emergency] Cross Standard Definition of Incident Types

On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 13:46, Tom Merkle wrote:
> Allen:
> I see many initiatives occurring in developing data standards for the
> first responders, public health, and transportation areas. In the
> tactical approach we can leverage existing work in some of the areas and
> create standards where the gaps occur. The major problem with this
> approach is trying to keep all inputs synchronized when a change occurs.

Exactly - this is dead on what the EM TC has signed up for and is doing.
Our Infrastructure Framework SC is responsible for identifying and
"mapping" the existing work in a manner we can leverage, which allows
the TC to then focus on the gaps. I also completely agree with the major
problem, and I can assure you the Chair of the IF SC is fully aware of
that challenge.

> A well defined parent child structure must be in place to help provide
> an impact analysis diagram so all areas impacted may understand the
> proposed change.

You should hook up with the IF SC Chair, Rick Carlton - this is his
baby. We are trying to stay at a level where we can not necessarily
solve all the world's problems, but rather improve the situation without
causing problems. I will defer to Rick for a more thorough description
of his focus. He only let's me talk so much :)

> The strategic approach would be to gather all of the various standards
> into an umbrella standard that mandates the impact analysis and change
> management processes. This would provide the "national level" standard
> which is comprised from various standard developing organizations that
> provide their expertise in specific areas.
> Just some thoughts.

And certainly all good ones!

--
R. Allen Wyke