Subject: Re: [emergency] FYI: OGC Seeks Sponsors for EmergencyMappingSymbology Initiative

Discussing it with Karl is a very good idea. The
more of this sort of thing that gets aired
independently, the better the chance that less
formal liaisons can receive a head nod to
proceed. One thing to keep in mind is that there
is a formal set of relationships between W3C, ISO
and OASIS, processed largely through ISO, and
there is also a strong, filial relationship
between W3C  and IETF, with IETF having a lot
over members that are also members of ISO and
ANSI, so there are subtext relationships going on
all the time, which is why I said I favor a more
de facto arrangement until after we see what
comes out in mid-October. Hopefully, we will then
have a better idea of how more is needed and
where, and where different language/country
localization and internationalization issues are
likely to need some kind of harmonizing and
tweaking and who really needs to be responsible
for it.

I also agree that it would be a big win-win for
our TC/SC work and for OASIS, as well as OGC, for
us to build a close relationship and I look
forward to seeing it happen with the least
friction possible.

Ciao,
Rex

W3Address: http://www.starbourne.com