Subject: Re: [emergency] Draft Reply To PPW Letter

Yup, I can see where Eliot would come to those conclusions without
having been involved in the meeting.

I don't usually respond when I find nothing to quibble with, and
<facetious>I believe I have used my annual allotment of unsolicited
affirmation or praise</facetous> at least for this particular group,
so I will just say that my reaction is along the same lines as Tom
Merkle's.

However, I still find it somewhat baffling as to why this issue
remains a hot button, or why we have hot buttons, other than having
some personalities that grate on each other, and the usual collection
of non-congruent (as opposed to incongruent) vested interests, but I
do think that a healthy dose of attending each other's meetings might
help. But, then, I'm always in favor of liaisoning.

I guess I don't understand why broadcast media would need more than
having a binary provided or else the basic information from which to
produce a suitable announcement, which we ought to be able to send if
it has been generated, with a CAP alert message in a separate
payload, such as a SOAP attachment or a second message/email
w/attachment or providing an ftp url where it can be downloaded, all
of which are as good as, or better than, having it inside the CAP
payload message as an inline. Or, we can establish a
broadcast-specific policy of sending the binary via their choice of
transport, provided there is an available
Broadcast-and-Specific-Transport-capable agency/facility/company in
our community which can handle that request.

I don't believe that broadcast needs to do more than announce the
emergency message to the public with relevant information and basic
instructions for immediate action if needed, and/or information for
the public about how to access more specific information in the same
way that the emergency broadcast system works now.

I don't think broadcast is an acceptable method to be sending CAP
messages to the Emergency Management community or first responders,
except if it is the only way that the message can get out, which
seems somewhat unlikely but not impossible. Broadcast is just not set
up to be able to be used as a coordinating medium, nor is radio,
although the public-access cable channels could well serve that
purpose. Of course, PBS can also be asked to provide more focused
programming related to a given emergency.

Last note: I don't think of this as a EM TC versus Broadcast problem.
I just think of it as OUR problem, and I am sure that we can find
several solutions which provide flexibility in delivering the alerts
for whole range of our populations, including sight or hearing
impaired populations, and have them ready. This is one area where the
department of redundancy department is a good thing.

Ciao,
Rex