Subject: Fwd: [egov] Interoperability among Types of Registries

Hi Eliot,

This is very cogent and to the point, so I am copying it to EM TC as
well. This is, in essence what I meant by importing schemata for
other standards (particularly for names and addresses) into CAP to
account for various usages, and formulations of the same information.
It then becomes a matter of using the correct term from the correct
schema for a particular usage, while having that information
available in repositories which can reference the namespace-specific
formulation of the term to retrieve the data from the correct
repository. This is not yet automatic, but it appears to be headed in
that direction. So until it is, we need to be careful to provide
implementation guides on how to accomplish this, and that leads to my
question: Are there other such resources as this ppt for which you
can send the url's or the resources themselves such as this?

Thanks,

>Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 05:10:27 -0500
>To: egov@lists.oasis-open.org
>From: Eliot Christian <echristi@usgs.gov>
>Subject: [egov] Interoperability among Types of Registries
>
>In the work on registries, I found Bruce Bargmeyer's presentations
>to be especially illuminating. The attached short Powerpoint gives
>a nice overview of seven types of Registries that are all relevant
>to our work in E-Government:
>
>- ISO 11179 Metadata Registries
>- Database Catalogs/Data Dictionaries/ Repositories
>- Universal Description, Discovery, and Integration
>   (UDDI) Registries
>- CASE (Computer-Aided Software Engineering) Tool
>   Encyclopedias/Repositories
>- Ontological Registries
>- Software Component Registries
>- OASIS/ebXML XML Registries
>

>To unsubscribe from this mailing list (and be removed from the
>roster of the OASIS TC), go to
>http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/egov/members/leave_workgroup.php.

W3Address: http://www.starbourne.com
Email: rexb@starbourne.com